Braces straighten your teeth, fix your bite and align your jaws. They space out crowded teeth, close gaps and generally improve your appearance and your oral health. These benefits are not just for teenagers. They can apply to adults, too.
Many adults fail to get these benefits because they cannot imagine wearing a mouth full of metal. However, the good news is there are many alternatives to metal and adults can have beautiful, straight teeth in just a few months.
Why Adults Get Braces
About 20 percent of people who wear braces are adults. This is partly due to the less visible braces that are available today, such as ceramic braces and invisible braces. Here are a few reasons that adults get braces:
• Teeth shift with age, and some adults have found that their previously straight teeth have become overcrowded and crooked. This could cause jaw pain and make it difficult to clean the teeth. They may find that the smile they always considered attractive is becoming unattractive.
• Some adults get braces because they required them as teenagers, but for whatever reason did not get them.
• Other adults may not have a particular problem, but would like straighter teeth to improve their appearance as they start a new career or have a lifestyle change.
• There are still metal braces available, but they are much smaller than they were 30 years ago. They are made from stainless steel and are the most commonly used.
• Clear, ceramic braces are worn just like metal braces, but they are the color of your teeth, so they are much less noticeable. They are more delicate than metal braces, so you need to be more careful of what you eat.
• Lingual or concealed braces are worn on the back of your teeth and are completely hidden.
How to Care for Braces?
Adults need to take care of their braces, so before you get them, it is a good idea to know what to expect. You will need to make time for regular checkups, which are usually about every four to six weeks.
You will also need to be careful of what you eat. Hard or sticky food can cause trouble when you are wearing braces. It may be necessary to take more time for flossing and brushing.
With three different offices in the Dallas area, Ragan Orthodontics proudly offers various types of braces for adults. It’s worth having a consultation with Dr. Ragan to know what is the best treatment for you. During your appointment, you can ask about your specific problem and how long it will take to fix.
With our help, you will have straight teeth and a healthier jaw for decades. Contact us today to schedule your appointment!