Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that treats many dental issues with the teeth and jaws. The most common issues are crooked teeth, missing teeth, and teeth that do not fit together properly when the mouth is closed. These and many other dental issues can be fixed by our orthodontist in Dallas, whether it be through traditional braces, Invisalign® or some other form of treatment. Orthodontic treatments may provide you with a healthier mouth, a better appearance and healthier teeth that will last a lifetime.
Several symptoms may indicate that you need orthodontic treatment in Dallas. Some of the following symptoms may mean that you should consult our orthodontist to see if you need treatment:
• An overbite is also called buckteeth and occurs when the upper front teeth are too far forward in the mouth and push out the upper lip.
• An underbite is also called bulldog teeth when the lower teeth close outside the upper teeth.
• A crossbite occurs when the upper teeth do not come down in front to the lower teeth.
• Open bite occurs when there is space between the biting surface of the teeth.
• Misplaced midline occurs when the middle of the lower jaw does not line up with the middle of the upper jaw.
• Spacing means there are gaps between the teeth that allow teeth to shift position.
• Overcrowding means there are too many upper or lower teeth in the jaw.
If you have any of the above symptoms, it is recommended that you have a consultation with our orthodontist in Dallas. Failing to treat orthodontic problems can result in several serious problems not only with your teeth and gums, but also with your overall health.
Overcrowded teeth can be difficult to properly clean, leaving food debris to attract bacteria and cause decay in the teeth and deterioration in the gums. Poorly aligned teeth may cause children to speak incorrectly and not be able to chew properly. When these dental issues are treated early, they need not develop into severe problems later in life.
Today, technology has advanced orthodontics so that you have a range of treatments available. You no longer need to fill your mouth with masses of metal. Traditional metal braces are still very effective, but they are much smaller than in the past and work faster. For those who want discreet treatment, there are ceramic braces in which the brackets and sometimes the wires are clear or tooth colored. There are also clear plastic aligners that are virtually invisible.
Whatever symptoms or dental issues you have, it is best to have them diagnosed and treated early by our experienced orthodontist at Ragan Orthodontics in Dallas before they cause you major health issues. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and get started!